Built from 1602 to 1640 by the Jesuits, the collegiate was one of the largest Catholic churches in Asia at the time, and the royalty of Europe vied with each other to bestow upon the temple the best gifts. With the decline in importance of Macau, which was overtaken as the main port for the Pearl River Delta by Hong Kong, the building’s fortunes similarly ebbed, and it was destroyed by a fire during a typhoon on the 26 January 1835. The Fortaleza do Monte overlooks the ruin. In 2014 Italian historian Angelo Paratico put forward the idea that this façade is somehow connected with a sketch by Leonardo da Vinci kept at Gallerie dell’Accademia in Venice.This could have been due to Francesco Melzi showing the codex to Carlo Spinola s.j. in Milan or by the architect Giacomo della Porta (connected to Leonardo’s Codex Bill Gates formerly Codex Leicester) who designed the façade of the Chiesa del Gesu’ in Rome.